Seasonal, Contract Position: Farmers Market Set-up Assistant
Third Place Commons is a community-supported 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering real community in real space by hosting over 900 free events each year and presenting the Lake Forest Park Farmers Market from May to October. Read more at ThirdPlaceCommons.org.
The Lake Forest Park Farmers Market season begins annually on Mother’s Day and runs weekly, every Sunday rain or shine, through the third Sunday in October. In 2019, the market will begin on May 12 and end on October 20. An additional 1-2 special indoor Fall markets may be added in November and December.
The farmers market is a valuable and cherished part of our community, and now it needs someone special to make that market magic possible!
The Farmers Market Set-Up Assistant reports jointly to the Executive Director of Third Place Commons and the Market Manager. This is a seasonal, contract position.
Weekly Set-Up and Take-Down Responsibilities Include:
- Set-up and take-down of Community and Information/Welcome booths. Typical configuration of these booths includes:
- Two adjacent Community Tents (canopies) with four 6’ tables and approximately 12-15 chairs;
- One Information/Welcome Tent (canopy) with one 6’ table, 3 chairs, several storage boxes of materials, two A-frame signs, and assorted other booth supplies.
- Additional canopies, set-up needs, or booth materials may occasionally be required.
- Set-up and take-down of large, A-Frame signs in 4 designated and permitted locations around Lake Forest Park Town Center parking perimeter (suitable vehicle required to load and transport signs to and from each location).
- Set-up and removal of designated trash bins.
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualities:
- Candidate must be extremely reliable with demonstrated history of highly dependable performance in a role with personal accountability.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40-50 lbs. (e.g. collapsible tent/canopies).
- Enthusiasm for farmers markets and sustainable, local food communities a plus.
All market materials are currently* stored in a secured storefront immediately adjacent to the market space. Therefore canopies and booth materials will typically need to be carried/transported approximately 120 feet or less. Transportation and set-up of A-frame signs around the Town Center parking perimeter requires weekly access to car/truck or otherwise suitable vehicle. (*Relocation of storage to different location in mall is a slight possibility. In this case, use of personal vehicle may also be required to transport market equipment across/within mall property.)
Work Schedule: Weekly on Sundays from May 12, 2019 through October 20, 2019. Set-up must be completed each Sunday by 8:15 AM and take-down must begin at 3:00 PM.
Position Classification: This is a seasonal, contract position.
Pay: $75 per market day set-up/takedown.
To Apply: Submit cover letter/email, resume or completed job application* (see below), and three references (at least one professional and/or supervisory) via email to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
*If you don’t have a professional resume, please complete and submit the job application below with your cover letter and references. Either the pdf or the Word version is acceptable.
Application Deadline: Position will remain open until filled, however priority consideration will be given to applications received by April 30th.
We value diversity. It is the policy of Third Place Commons not to discriminate against any employee, contractor, or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. We strongly encourage applications from qualified members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.